Self-tanning is the answer to getting your youthful, sun-kissed glow without causing damage to your skin or body. But it can be intimidating at first! From application to aftercare, there are many things to keep in mind to achieve the perfect, even tan.
Don’t worry, PJB’s got you covered with these self-tanner tips to help achieve your perfect tan.
Prepping Your Skin
When it comes to self-tanning, preparation is everything! Your skin needs to be properly prepared so that it can get the most even and glowing tan. Here are some tips to prepare your skin:
- Shave or Wax & Exfoliate: Make sure to wax or shave for a smooth application surface at least 48 hours prior to application. Then, use a gentle exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin cells at least 24 hours before application.
- Moisturize: You can apply a light amount of moisturiser to dry areas if needed 24 to 48 hours prior to self-tanning. These are areas like your knees, elbows, wrists, and ankles. However we recommend not applying any moisturiser right before self-tanning for the best even results.
- Use the Right Products: Avoid bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil-based products, or in-shower moisturiser. They can act as a barrier on your skin and prevent the tan from developing.
- Keep your Skin Dry: When you're ready to apply, make sure your skin is dry. Too much moisture will have your gorgeous tan sliding right off your skin.
@petajanebeauty vacation prep 🐚🌺 #selftanner #selftanning #petajanebeauty ♬ original sound - Peta Jane Beauty
Applying Self-Tanner Tips
The perfect application is within reach, trust us! Follow our instructions and tips and you’ll be glowing in no time.
- Start with a small amount: Begin with a small amount of self-tanner and apply it in upward, circular motions. Work in small sections since our self-tanning mousses dry quickly.
- Blend well: Use a tanning mitt to blend the self-tanner evenly. We recommend doing circular motions for the best application. Some areas, like your hands and feet, may need some extra TLC when applying.
- Let it dry: Wait at least a few minutes before getting dressed to avoid staining your clothes and having the product transfer off your skin.
- Rinse Off: Once the tan has developed, rinse it off. Avoid using soaps or exfoliators when doing so.
Self-Tan Aftercare Tips
The aftercare is just as important as your prep and application. If you want a tan that will last longer and look better, it may be the most important!
- Moisturise & Protect Your Skin: Use tan-friendly moisturisers and SPF daily to keep your skin hydrated and protected. Not only will it help your tan last longer, but it will also help your skin stay healthy and more youthful. It's a win-win!
- Extend Your Tan: Our new Peta Jane Beauty Tan Extender is the perfect product to keep you glowing. This lotion can build, extend, or accelerate your tan!